To request assistance in your state
Does the state have a RTI website? Yes.
Does the state have a RTI guidance document? Yes.
What does the state allow for SLD
determination? RTI and IQ Discrepancy
Does the state have an RTI Related SPDG
Does the state have RTI Components in its SPP
Indicator 3: Statewide Assessment
Indicator 4: Suspension and Expulsion
Indicator 5: School-aged Least Restrictive Environment
Indicator 6: Pre-school Least Restrictive Environment
Indicator 9: Disproportionality – special education by race
Indicator 10: Disproportionality – specific disability categories by race
1 - 10 out of 30
- The Response to Intervention (RTI) Model: Technical Assistance Paper (pdf)
- This 2006 brief describes RTI and the three tiers of intervention, explains how it differs from the discrepancy model, and provides guidance on how it may be used to identify and instruct students at risk of failing. It includes a question and answer section and appendices with information on federal and state initiatives, implementation examples, and a flowchart of intervention tiers. The brief was produced by the Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services at the Florida Department of Education.
- Florida’s Problem Solving & Response to Intervention Project
- This website is the gateway to the Florida’s Problem Solving & Response to Intervention Project. It houses all types of resources about RTI, including definitions, project newsletters, presentations, and links to other organizations’ websites where further information may be found. It also includes information on the demonstration districts where it is conducting its pilot study. The Project is a collaboration between the Florida Department of Education and the University of South Florida.
- Florida RTI Update, Summer 2007 (pdf)
- This 2007 brief includes two articles. One provides an overview of RTI and the other describes how the state of Florida is conducting their statewide initiative that has both pilot sites and statewide training. Florida’s Problem Solving & Response to Intervention Project of the University of South Florida produced the brief.
- Florida RTI Update, Spring 2008 (pdf)
- This 2008 brief includes two articles. One describes how a school district has piloted an RTI model. The other explains the importance of data in program implementation and evaluation. Florida’s Problem Solving & Response to Intervention Project of the University of South Florida produced the brief.
- Florida RTI Update, Summer 2008 (pdf)
- This 2008 brief includes articles that provide information and examples on how data may be used to implement an RTI model and evaluate its progress. One article provides an update of one school’s efforts to implement RTI in their school by describing areas of success and where they still need to focus their efforts. Florida’s Problem Solving & Response to Intervention Project of the University of South Florida produced the brief.
- Establishing a Data-based Decision-making System
- This 2006 presentation provides information on how to analyze data on referrals in order to assess student needs and improve the quality of behavioral and instructional interventions. The presentation was produced by the Florida Positive Behavior Support Project at the University of South Florida, and would be most useful to school level administrators who seek more information to set up a data-based decision-making system for interventions. It is one of several resources housed on Florida's Response to Intervention website.
- Bidders' Conference: Problem Solving and Response to Intervention (pdf)
- This 2007 presentation describes Florida’s Problem Solving & Response to Intervention Project and provides an overview of RTI. It discusses Florida policy concerning Exceptional Student Education, and would be particularly useful for school and district administrators. Florida’s Problem Solving & Response to Intervention Project gave the presentation at the 2007 Administrator Orientation Meeting.
- The Florida Center for Reading Research: Interventions for Struggling Readers – RTI
- This website provides Response to Intervention (RtI) tools relating to literacy for elementary students, including reports on the status of RtI implementation in Florida, the statewide implementation plan, and regularly updated intervention news. It also includes principals’ guides to interventions, information on supplemental programs, and other recommended reading. The website was developed by the Florida Center for Reading Research.
- Using an RTI Model to Guide Early Reading Instruction (pdf)
- This 2007 research paper addresses the impact of the Response to Intervention (RtI) instructional model on rates of identification of students with learning disabilities in Florida. Joseph K. Torgesen asserts that if schools spend significant amounts of time experimenting with interventions before they refer students for potentially more powerful special education services, the RTI instructional model could actually delay the identification of students for needed instructional services. This could produce an outcome in which rates of identification of students with learning disabilities would increase once students move to upper grades in which the RTI instructional model is not currently being implemented.
- Florida Response to Intervention Website
- Florida’s Response to Intervention website was developed by the Florida Center for Interactive Media through a special project funded by the State of Florida, Department of Education, Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services. The website provides resources pertaining to Florida’s RTI model and partnerships. The website also provides links to external resources that provide additional information on a range of topics related to RTI, including: curriculum-based measurement, use of data, interventions, problem-solving, progress monitoring, research, and tiered systems of service delivery.