To request assistance in your state
Does the state have a RTI website? Yes.
Does the state have a RTI guidance document? Yes.
What does the state allow for SLD
determination? RTI and IQ Discrepancy
30 EC 56337 - Definition of "Specific Learning Disability" & Determining Whether a Pupil Has a Specific Learning Disability
56337. (c) In determining whether a pupil has a specific learning disability, a local educational agency may use a process that determines if the pupil responds to scientific, research-based intervention as a part of the assessment procedures described in Section 1414(b)(2) and (3) of Title 20 of the United States Code and covered in Sections 300.307 to 300.311, inclusive, of Title 34 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
Determining Specific Learning Disability Eligibility Using RtI2
Does the state have an RTI Related SPDG
Does the state have RTI Components in its SPP
1 - 10 out of 13
- Cal STAT Technical Assistance and Training Podcasts
- This website provides podcasts from experts on a variety of RTI topics including RTI overview, how to implement RTI, disporportionality, and RTI and literacy. Currently podcasts are available in audio and PDF or html formats; transcripts of podcasts are also available for download. The resources were released by the California Services for Technical Assistance and Training, a special project of the California Department of Education.
- California Association of School Psychologists - Response To Intervention Resources
- This resource is the website for the California Association of School Psychologists (CASP), a statewide membership organization for school psychologists in California. The RTI section of the website houses a collection of RTI materials, many of which are on using RTI for learning disability identification. The resources are from the state of California, professional organizations, the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), OSEP-funded technical assistance and dissemination centers, and other states. The website also provides links to further websites that house resources on RTI.
- Critical Characteristics of a Three Tiered Model Applied to Reading Interventions (pdf)
- This article from California provides an outline of how RTI could serve as a model for delivering reading interventions and the important role that school psychologists can play in the implementation of the model. It discusses RTI as a tool for special education identification and provides implementation questions related to service provision and special education eligibility as well as information about developing criteria for the identification of students needing services. The article additionally presents components or an effective reading curriculum as well as characteristics of successful reading interventions.
- School Psychologists and Response to Intervention (word)
- This position paper from the California Association of School Psychologists (CASP) outlines the essential knowledge and skills that school psychologists need in order to participate in an RTI model as set forth in IDEA 2004. The paper provides an introduction to RTI and a three-tiered model, outlines the knowledge and skills that school psychologists should have, and provides resources for further guidance and training. This CASP position paper was adopted by the Board of Directors on February 15, 2006.
- The California School Psychologist Journal
- These articles from The California School Psychologists’ Journal focus on RTI models and implementation. Specific articles focus on the process for identification of learning disabilities, issues related to children in preschool, implementation for English Language Learners, and professional development challenges. Overall, the articles discuss existing RTI models, their characteristics, and the advantages and challenges of implementing RTI, including methods for effective implementation.
- California Response to Instruction & Intervention Website
- This California Department of Education website provides information on the state’s approach to response to instruction and intervention, referred to as RTI2. The site includes links to information about the philosophy and definition of RTI2 and the approach’s core components, and links to additional resources related to RTI.
- Determining Specific Learning Disability Eligibility Using Response to Instruction and Intervention (RtI2) (pdf)
- This guidance document produced by the California Department of Education in 2009 provides technical assistance for district and school administrators as they begin planning to implement Response to Instruction and Intervention (RtI2), California’s RtI framework. The document begins with a description of the ten core components of RtI2 and an overview of their implementation, then discusses how district and school leaders as well as school staff may be involved in the process. It also explores how RtI2 may be used in Specific Learning Disability (SLD) eligibility. The appendices include a self-assessment tool, a document discussing the changing roles of school leaders and other stakeholders, and a summary of Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) policies related to SLD eligibility. This resource would be useful for district and school administrators as well as teachers as they begin to implement RtI2 and use it to identify students with learning disabilities.
- California's Philosophy and Definition-Rtl2
- The California Department of Education’s philosophy and definition of Response to Instruction and Intervention provides a basis for understanding a systematic, data-driven approach to instruction believed to benefit every student in the effort to close the achievement gap.
- This page lists internal and external Web links relating to Response to Instruction and Intervention (RtI2) are provided as resources and information for implementation.
- Core Components-Rtl2
- A cohesive RtI2 process integrates resources from general education, categorical programs and special education into a comprehensive system of core instruction and interventions to benefit every student. This page lists core components critical to the full implementation of a strong RtI2 process.